FLAG

FLAG
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." -Abraham Lincoln

Thursday, June 27, 2013

Government vs. Patriot




     On the morning of September 11, 2001 the City of New York arose as usual with the bustle and fast pace of the day. At 8:46am a plane crashed into the north tower of the World Trade Center. Michael Walters, A freelance photojournalist walking nearby stated “All of a sudden there were people screaming. I saw people jumping out of the building. Their arms were flailing. I stopped taking pictures and started crying.”
     Three thousand miles from this event being witnessed by Mr. Walters I woke up and began gathering my stuff for school. I walked through the hallway of my home grabbed my backpack and started for the back door. I heard a commotion of the television screen my Dad was watching and turned back to look. My Dad often watched the news and my first thought as I gazed at the screen was that a storm was happening somewhere in the world. As I stared at the strange sight on the screen I asked “What is that?” “That is the world trade center being blown up” He answered solemnly. “I don’t understand” I replied, but my Dad said nothing, his eyes fixated on the screen. I turned and went out the door to catch the bus, puzzled and unaware of what I had just seen. I kept wondering to myself “What is the World Trade Center? Where is that located?” I had no idea.
     There was an eerie feeling surrounding the school that day. It was hard to understand but I felt a knot in my stomach the entire day. Something very wrong was happening today but I didn’t understand what or how it affected me except that it was making me feel horribly depressed. I entered my history class and my teacher like everyone else that day was solemn. She turned on the TV and we watched in silence. I still didn’t get it. What was happening? I thought to myself. Why was everyone acting like this was the end? If this really was the end of the world as we knew it I knew I felt sad but couldn’t cry. I was too shocked at the footage I was watching. I asked myself “If this is the end, why are we sitting here watching a TV, and not going anywhere or doing a thing? Did the United States Government even know that people over there are dying?"
     I soon was called by my teacher to come up to his desk. He told me that my mother was at the office and I was leaving. I immediately obeyed and went to the office and was greeted by my sister first who was beside herself with sheer terror and she hugged me sobbing. My mother then came over to us and she walked us to the car and took us home. When my sister was able to speak I asked her all my puzzling questions and she retorted to me that “The World Trade Center in New York was attacked by hijacked planes!” in a matter of fact tone. I was too mesmerized by her facts than to be annoyed at her smart answer. Why were airplanes attacking the buildings in New York? It seemed all too fantastic to be real. “Will they attack us here?” I asked. She didn’t know. Now I knew why there was that frightened and solemn feeling around all day. The unknown is the scariest when. Everything around you seems chaotic, uncertain, and the answers are dismal. I could see on the news feeds that many fire fighters and police men were out helping everyone they could, but I couldn’t understand how the CIA nor FBI wasn’t able to detect such an attack happening. I had always viewed them as supreme and able to detect just about anything. This experience in my life didn’t bring me any confidence in those government agencies.  In fact, it did the opposite. The experience and the years that followed brought more questions and uneasiness as the event was discussed, but no answers were really absolute. All the news reports that followed the event made it seem that no agency had a clue at the planned attack. For me, their uncertainty didn’t seem to bother anyone. Most coverage seemed more interested in the response of President Bush and then all the focus was on the upcoming war that would soon commence. All the efforts people were making to retaliate to the enemy was being called Patriotic actions.
     It has taken me years to understand what I know today about the events of that horrific morning of September 11th, 2001. I still do not know everything. I do not think anyone without classified security clearance knows, and even then I am uncertain. The fact that is clear about that morning is that America was forever changed and affected by that day. One of the greatest and most profound adjustments that have come as a result of that day was our collective definitions and understanding of our fundamental beliefs and values. The one I want to focus on if our collective definition of Patriotism.
     The Oxford dictionary defined Patriotism as “the quality of being patriotic; vigorous support for one’s country. For me, the grey area of the definition lies within its’ definition when it says vigorous support. What does support entail? How are your actions defined as supportive? For me, the citizen who Pledges his/her support to the constitutional rights of the people of America and does everything in their power to protect and stand up for those liberties is a Patriot
     During the birth of America the colonists never used the word "patriot" to describe anybody who was a “loyalist”. At that time a "loyalist" meant somebody who was "loyal" to the government in London and to King George III. Traditionally, in our history books the men who signed the Declaration of Independence betrayed the governing force at that time and were considered traitors. Gary Clark, who is a writer, gave a profound description of the events that led to the founding of the constitution.
         They conspired, both in secret and later openly, to overthrow and revolt against their          government with the aim of throwing it out and establishing a new and different governmental system. In doing this, they were branded as traitors and seditionists by their government... but they did it anyway, despite the risk. Eventually, after their government had fired the first shots, they took up arms against their government and began killing its policing agents, who were the armed force enforcing the oppressive dictates of their government.” (Clark)
This description is a powerful summary of the greatest patriotic acts of their time. Their actions were traitorous against a wrongful governing force and their actions brought peace and prosperity for many people. For me, this is an example that can be used to compare and measure one’s actions in order to know if they are Patriotic.
     These brave, determined, and courageous men risked their own selves for this cause. They put their reputations, their families, properties, even their lives at risk as they fought the great oppressive government of that time. That is what makes them true American Patriots! Their sacrifice is amazing! Gary Clark’s description of the historical events that led to the independence of the United States helps me to understand that at that time those men felt it necessary and acceptable to take a stand and defend their rights against the existing power of government at that time. I wonder if men like that exist now.
     Today, there is a man who has taken his own measures to inform the public of the governments’ questionable acts against the liberty of the common man. Edward Snowden recently embarrassed US President Barack Obama with his revelations of massive surveillance programs they use. On a Fox News report it indicated that Snowden left his position in Hawaii and on May 20 went to Hong Kong to begin issuing a series of leaks on the NSA gathering of phone call logs and Internet data. The report continued “The White House dubbed Snowden a traitor to his country and warned both Russia and China that their relations with the US might be damaged by their refusal to extradite him. ‘We expect (the Russians) to look at the options available to them to expel Mr. Snowden back to the United States,’ White House spokesman Jay Carney said.”(Williams and Smolchenko). Are we now in the business of punishing a man for informing the nation of the questionable acts of its government? If this information helps us know what to do about our current government if it is doing things that violate our liberties; then according to our own US history, Edward could be a Patriot. He is not guilty of blowing up a tower in New York full of innocent people. However, I think he could be considered a patriot of our time for opposing powers that violate the right and freedoms of the common people.
      I bring this to light to pose the question: Do we as a people need to question and examine our current power of government? In order to ensure that our liberties and rights are not being violated or taken from under our noses I believe we should always question and remain informed of our governments practices. After all, the United States government was formed by the people for the people, not to be governed by anyone but the people themselves. I fear that in our day and time that it will be necessary to be like our forefathers in 1775. I feel it vital to the salvation of our fundamental principles that we be ready to be labeled traitors if necessary in order to protect our freedom. Such labels help governments to thwart opposing powers. I wonder if that is the case with Edward Snowden. Is he a traitor or a patriot? Do you feel that questioning the government’s actions is traitorous or patriotic? Abraham Lincoln once said “We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.” After the events of September 11th, and the lack of information that fallowed, and now the labeling of Edward Snowden as a traitor for informing us of the government’s practices that are questionable makes me feel skeptical and suspicious of out government.
     These events lead me to ask, what exactly do we need to defend and protect; our current government or ourselves and our way of life? The U.S. Government was designed to be a patriot organization for the people. However, if it is failing to do so, and its structure is not serving its purpose and standing for the public good then we must be the patriots to defend our liberties. Therefore, I define Patriotism as the actions of a patriot; who is a defender, a defender of the constitutional rights of the people!

Works Cited
BrainyQuote. Xplore, n.d. Web. 26 June 2013.< http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/g/george_washington_2.html>.
"Mystery as Fugitive Snowden Vanishes in Moscow." Fox News. FOX News Network, n.d. Web. 26 June 2013.< http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/06/24/mystery-as-fugitive-snowden-vanishes-in-moscow/>.
"Patriotism." : Definition of in Oxford Dictionary (British & World English). N.p., n.d. Web. 26 June 2013.< http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/patriotism>.
"Veterans United Network." Veterans United Network. N.p., n.d. Web. 26 June 2013.< http://www.veteransunited.com/network/10-most-powerful-quotes-about-911/>.
"What Is an AMERICAN Patriot?" What Is an AMERICAN Patriot? N.p., n.d. Web. 26 June 2013. <http://www.liberator.net/articles/ClarkGary/AmericanPatriot.html>.

No comments:

Post a Comment